Configuring Eclipse for Domino Debug Plugin
As I say, I’ve been using Eclipse for some time for plugin development and debugging of Java agents. For a few versions of Eclipse I’ve had the XPages SDK installed and debugged accordingly. But I had not got round to installing the Domino Debug Plugin. So last week I finally took the plunge.
However, in the YouTube video for installing it, Niklas talks about downloading an old version of the Java runtime in order for some packages of the Extension Library to compile correctly. After a bit of hunting around and following the screenshots on his video, it looks like that’s no longer available.
But after reaching out to the community, Nathan Freeman pointed me to an easier alternative by configuring Eclipse to point to the Domino (or Notes) runtime’s javaw.exe file. In the Eclipse folder there is a configuration file called eclipse.ini. Now my file looks like this, with the relevant line ringed:
There are a couple of gotchas to watch out for.
Firstly, it didn’t work if I added this at the end of the config file, after the “-Xmx512m” line, even if I added a blank line afterwards. I guess this is probably because the vm setting needs to be used before vmargs. Whatever the reason, adding it immediately before -vmargs worked.
The second gotcha is that the filename doesn’t accept spaces. Here I’m running Windows 7 and my Domino server is installed under “Program Files”, so I have to use the abbreviated format “progra~1”. Opening a command prompt and typing “dir /x” will give the abbreviated names (thanks, Declan!). From the same command prompt in Windows you can use the “cd” command to change directories and navigate down to check the relevant abbreviation is correct.
Now I can load and debug my extensions from Eclipse, which I can see being extremely useful.